Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Technology Meets Dating?



I have always been a bit of a hybrid around technology - one foot forward in the future, another foot dangling in the past. But when it comes to how I am in relationships, beyond the use of e-mail and Facebook, I'm really pretty old school.

For example, this is foreign territory to me:

Sexting has become a hot topic lately. The truth is, it was a "hot" topic before it was an urban term. Wikipedia says it is "the act of sending sexually explicit messages or photos electronically, primarily between cell phones." There are so many gray lines when sexual subject matters are concerned, though.


What is the difference between flirting and sexting? How do you know that you're doing it?


I have no clue. Even though as a writer, I'm well aware of how sexy, romantic, and powerful well chosen words can be, I can't quite grasp that merged with something like texting.

And the whole "sexting" thing is just beyond me. You got some hot ## baby! I'm all over dat @@!

Ummm, yeah. Anyway, I don't even have a cell phone. Some might dismiss me as "unavailable" because of that fact. Funny how quickly things go from being a hobby toy to a "necessity."

2 comments:

  1. So, I think the difference between flirting and sexting is really the expected mechanism of the event. For example, I think flirting brings to mind a picture of 2 (or more) people in the same space, passing compliments back & forth, standing/sitting closer and closer together as the flirting proves to be more and more successful.

    Sexting I think is the territory of the youth who grew up will cell phones in high school. (I didn't.) There's this really interesting phenomenon where people integrate tools into their sense of identity ... hobbyists treating cars as valued members of their families, artists becoming 'one' with their paintbrushes, people feeling 'naked' without cell phones ... sexting is a direct extension of who we are if our cell phone is significantly representative of ourselves.
    Let me know if you'd like clarification!

    -Diana
    dianassexblog@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana,

    That makes sense to me. I totally agree, too, that sexting seems to be directly linked to the rise of cell phone culture. I do remember a scandal in Detroit involving an ex-mayor who had a cell phone full of messages with his girlfriend/city employee. The line on those is a little blurry - more than flirting, but not quite sexting perhaps.

    The introduction of the digital element makes things really interesting.

    ReplyDelete